Laser and Cosmetic Center
Yelena Kipervas, DO
Cosmetic Specialist & Family Practice Physician located in Stroudsburg, PA
Acne can occur in people of any age or gender and can be an uncomfortable experience. Don't let acne keep you from enjoying your life when there are effective treatment options available. At Laser and Cosmetic Center, Dr. Yelena Kipervas helps teens and adults find smoother, clearer skin. If you live in the Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, area and would like to learn more, schedule an appointment today by calling the office or using the simple online scheduling tool.
Acne Q & A
What is acne?
Your hair follicles also serve as passageways that allow oil to reach your skin's outer layer and provide a path for dead skin cells to exit your body. When these follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and oil, acne results.
Acne is divided into two types: noninflammatory and inflammatory. Within these types, there are several subtypes.
Noninflammatory acne: This type of acne involves clogged pores without inflammation. Some cases can be cleared up using over-the-counter products containing salicylic acid.
- Blackheads: This mild form of acne occurs when your pores are clogged and enlarged with dead skin cells and sebum (oil). The pore itself remains open, leaving small dark spots.
- Whiteheads: Also developing due to an accumulation of dead skin cells and sebum, whiteheads are clogged pores which stay closed. Whiteheads often resemble small bumps on the surface of your skin.
Inflammatory acne: When bacteria creates an infection deep within your skin, inflammation occurs. These types of acne can be challenging to treat.
- Papules: When inflammation damages the walls of your pores, they can toughen and be sensitive to touch.
- Pustules: Similar to papules, pustules are pores clogged with pus instead of hardened skin cells and oil.
- Nodules: Deeper underneath your skin than the other types, nodules are pores which have become larger and more irritated, and cannot be cleared through self-care methods.
- Cysts: Even deeper within your skin, cysts are pores clogged with dead skin cells, oil, and bacteria and are often painful, indicating severe infection.
What are the causes of acne?
Four primary factors generally cause acne:
- Hormonal activity
- Clogged hair follicles
- Excessive oil production
Hormonal fluctuations caused by puberty, oral contraceptives, and menopause can worsen acne, as can the use of certain medications. Researchers also believe that certain foods can aggravate acne. Even stress can have a direct impact on your skin.
What are the treatment options for acne?
The first step in finding an effective treatment for acne is diagnosing the specific type. Treatment options vary, and the best course of action depends on the condition of your skin and the cause of your acne.
Treatment options include:
- Topical creams or ointments
- Manual extraction
- Laser treatments
- Prescription medications
- Photodynamic therapy
At Laser & Cosmetic Center, Dr. Kipervas uses the SharpLight laser to destroy bacteria, dry acne lesions, and promote your natural healing response. To learn more, schedule an appointment in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, today.
InstaLift Thread Face Liftmore info
Cosmetic Injectablesmore info
Skin Caremore info
Laser Hair Removalmore info
Laser Resurfacingmore info
Customized Advanced Facial Treatmentsmore info
Lip Fillermore info
Hair Lossmore info
Non-Invasive Cosmetic Proceduresmore info
IV Nutritional Therapymore info
Same Day Appointmentmore info
Office Specialsmore info
PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma)more info
Fat Reductionmore info